Lille Old Town (Vieux Lille)
The atmospheric Old Town (Vieux-Lille) is rich in 16th- and 17th-century architecture. Walk its cobblestoned streets and see Flemish-influenced, red-brick buildings as you wander. There's no shortage of things to do in the neighborhood that's home to top attractions such as Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille Cathedral, Hospice Comtesse Museum, the Birthplace of Charles de Gaulle, Grand Place, and Vieille Bourse (Old Stock Exchange). For ease, discover history-saturated Vieux-Lille on a walking, biking, or driving tour.
Recent reviews from experiences in Lille
Things to Know Before You Go
Located just adjacent to the neighborhood, the star-shaped Citadelle de Lille, a hilltop fortification, is a highlight, and is home to a zoo and walking trails.
Vieux-Lille was once surrounded by fortification walls; venture to the Porte de Gand—a listed Historic Monument—to see one of the area’s centuries-old entryways.
To admire some of Vieux-Lille’s oldest buildings, head to the neighborhood’s Place aux Oignons (Onions Square) and the surrounding streets.
How to Get There
Located just a quick stroll from Lille’s two major train stations—the Gare de Lille Flandres and Gare de Lille Europe—Vieux-Lille is an easy-to-access neighborhood. It is also served by the Lille Metro, as well as numerous bus lines, including the dedicated Vieux-Lille Shuttle.
When to Get There
There’s never a bad time to visit Vieux-Lille. By day, its historic architecture is picture-perfect and its monuments are ready to explore, while its bars and restaurants come alive after dark.
The Marché du Concert
Want to mingle with locals and see how the Lillois live (and dine)? Venture to the Place du Concert from from early morning to early afternoon on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays to browse its lively, gourmet food market.
- Grand Place
- Lille Cathedral (Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille)
- Hospice Comtesse Museum (Musée de l'Hospice Comtesse)
- Museum of the Gunners in Lille (Musée des Canonniers Sédentaires de Lille)
- Lille Town Hall and Belfry (Beffroi de l'Hôtel de Ville de Lille)
- Birthplace of Charles de Gaulle (Maison Natale de Charles de Gaulle)
- Lille Natural History Museum (Musée d'Histoire Naturelle de Lille)
- Lille Museum of Fine Arts (Palais des Beaux Arts de Lille)
- Science Forum (Forum Departmental Des Sciences)
- Lille Métropole Museum of Modern, Contemporary and Outsider Art (LAM)
- Villa Cavrois
- Le Fresnoy National Studio for Contemporary Arts (Le Fresnoy Studio National des Arts Contemporains)
- La Piscine Museum (Musée d'Art et d’Industrie André Diligent)
- La Manufacture de Roubaix
- Maison Folie Hospice d'Havré